Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Success Story

Some patients believe diabetes is a burden - the way you have to mold your diet and routines to maintain good health. Some people ask, "why should I build my whole life around diabetes?" I understand that anger. However, I personally believe we should take on every bump in the road positively.


If life gives you lemon, make lemonade (Just don’t add too much sugar!). This is a cliché, but makes sense. Make the best out of what is given to you. Although I'm not a diabetes patient myself, I fully support this statement because I know of some people who have not let diabetes stop them from living life. Hopefully, after reading this post, you will have an optimistic view on living a successful life and accomplishing all of your wildest dreams and most ambitious goals.

Meet Kristen Haury from Mentor, Ohio. She was diagnosed with type 1diabetes shortly before her first marathon. Although she did not enter that marathon which she had prepared for well over a month, it did not stop her from entering future races. Whenever she ran, she was with a group of people who know she has diabetes. She also brings along her meter, a cellphone, and a source of glucose. It was only three months after she was diagnosed that she completed a short-distance triathlon. Since then, she has done four other triathlons and three marathons. According to her, "it's being able to do anything you want in life. Sure, you may need to stop and check your blood sugar, but you can do what you love."

No comments:

Post a Comment